I believe a person can be overweight and healthy.
I don’t believe being 100lbs overweight is healthy for me.
It’s laughable to me when I go to my doctor and she hesitates to mention my weight. As if I don’t already know I’m overweight and she’s breaking the bad news to me. Yeah, I know if I lost a little weight I might be able to lower my blood pressure, or my knees would hurt less, or might sleep better or live longer. Thanks Dr. Obvious.
I know if I lose weight, become healthier and in better physical shape, I could live longer and not die prematurely.
Death is just not a tangible thing. Death is a thing far off in the distance…over there.
Ask me if I want to live long enough to see my boys get married and have grandchildren? Of course I do.
Am I convinced that eating a donut is gonna prevent that from happening? Of course I’m not convinced. I won’t drop dead from just one jelly donut.
Fear of death is not a motivator. Having a better quality of life, not just a longer one, should be the real motivation.
When I thought of the tangible reasons to lose weight, big and small, I focused on what would make me happier, a better person, and allow me to have a better quality of life.
Here’s just 20 of the reasons I came up with, to lose weight and be healthier:
- I could get on the ground and get off of the ground easier
- Airplane seats would be more comfortable
- I’m convinced I would sweat less
- I could take long walks again
- Future grandkids (way way way into the future boys!)
- Feel physically stronger
- I could take the stairs without feeling like I’m dying
- No more snarky remarks from my mother…well, maybe fewer snarky remarks?
- More energy
- More sex from being happier naked
- Happier husband from the more sex
- Hike (not take the bus) up to Machu Picchu
- Enjoy a long retirement
- Future weddings of my boys (no pressure boys, but I hope you find someone!)
- My weight would be one less thing to worry about
- No fear of fitting in the roller coaster seat
- Learn Muay Thai and be a bad ass
- I believe I’d feel more like myself, the way I used to be
- Experience comfort while wearing shorts